Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Bear-ly Poetic, Teddy Bear Gifts with Poetry

Yesterday, I revealed my quirky humor side, today is the thoughtful, compassionate side that I express through poetry.  These are not long, involved poems, but short and to the point, most of them point to God as the helper in times of difficulty.  I will give you just a few examples of the poetry included with some of my Angel Bears.

Kailie's Angel Bear
Kailie's Angel Bear
One of my very first poems was written for Kailie's Angel Bear.  There is a story behind this bear.  A friend of mine had a granddaughter named Kailie.  I do not remember her exact age, but I believe around the age of 10.  Doctor's discovered that she had leukemia, and while she and her doctors and her family fought hard, she did not make it.  My heart was moved by her fight as I heard of her story from her grandmother.  The poem, the angel bear (my first) started to unfold in my mind as I ached for this family.  The poem reads: "God sends his angels to protect and guard, To lift us up when life is hard.  They watch over us and pray for us too.  This gift is to remind you of God's angel for you."

Pearl Angel Bear, breast cancer patient gift
Pearl Angel Bear

A few years later, I was going through cancer treatment for breast cancer.  Pearl Angel Bear and the poem that comes with her was inspired by the support that I received during that time.  This poem reads:

Dear friend, I'm here to walk with you
Through this journey that you face,
With listening ear and helping hand
And a measure of God's grace.

To comfort you, to encourage you,
To help you do what you must do.
To share your laughter and your tears,
I'm here, dear friend, for you.


The voice of this poem is that of the caring friend to the breast cancer patient.

At the beginning of my cancer treatment, I had major surgery.  If you have had surgery, you know that they do not want you wearing any jewelry, including your wedding band.  Well, I couldn't get my wedding ring off, so went to a jeweler to have it cut off.  In the process of doing this, the kind woman who was helping was asking why I wanted it cut off.  When I told her it was for cancer surgery, she was very sympathetic and said she would pray for me.  As if that was not enough, while I was in the hospital, she actually called me to see how I was doing!!!  I have never seen her again, but I was touched beyond measure by her kindness, which inspired the poem that comes with You're An Angel Bear.
You're An Angel Bear
You're An Angel Bear
 This poem reads: 

Words cannot express what your kindness meant to me.
May this angel make you smile and may God bless you abundantly.
Thanks for being an "angel" to me.



Coming up next... some of my lighter side poetry and accompanying teddy bear gifts.

No comments: